Tuesday 5 May 2009

Three Things you Might Not Know about the Eiffel Tower


In 1966 the Eiffel tower was only 77 years old and i was 11. Today is her 120th birthday.

I had travelled to Paris with my parents and it was clearly their intention to climb the monument, a project I supported until I saw it and I was overwhelmed by a sense of vertigo and refused to set one foot on the thing.

I don’t think it was the height that scared me but the holes, which to my eye was the significant structural feature.

But I liked her to look at, I even bought a small replica from the souvenir stands and I always thank my family for not forcing me to ascend though I still feel guilty for stopping them as they loyally accompanied me around the gardens at the base.

So, what are the thee three facts that you may not know about The Eiffel Tower?

1. In Santa Rosalia, Baja California, Mexico there is a small cast iron church designed by the same man.

2. The record for climbing the steps of the tower is 8minutes 51 seconds.

3. It remained the world’s tallest building for 41 years.

Happy Birthday.

No comments: